Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

Imagine yourself as this woman


I started this blog with the hope that it would make me accountable; that I would force myself to do more art, to share more art, to get off my butt & create!  The idea behind “studio K8 and me” was this: I would share creations from my “studio” – be that art, photography or a combination - and then occasionally share a little about me.  

About my thoughts, my feelings, my hopes and dreams.  

The word little was very intentional.  I wasn’t sure how easy it would be to pour out my soul to the universe.  I don’t express my feelings easily.  People that have known me for years will likely attest to this – I’m a tough cookie to crack!  But it appears that sharing my thoughts isn’t turning out to be that hard – I guess it’s easier for me to write about my feelings than to verbalize them.

Getting to the creating part though – that seems to be easier said than done. Aside from a of couple pictures here and there, I really haven’t produced much of anything.  Oh well, I’m just going to let it be what it is…see where it goes.  

But while I work through this block and try to sort it all out, perhaps what I’ll do is share something from the vaults.  I drew this piece back in 2001.  I can’t remember where I got the original picture from – some magazine likely.  



My favourite part about it is the words that I wrote on the edges.  I was recently reminded of this poem after Lori Portka posted it on Roots of She.  It goes a little like this: 


Imagine a woman who believes it is right and good she is a woman. A woman who honors her experience and tells her stories. Who refuses to carry the sins of others within her body and life.

Imagine a woman who trusts and respects herself. A woman who listens to her needs and desires. Who meets them with tenderness and grace.

Imagine a woman who has acknowledged the past's influence on the present. A woman who has walked through her past. Who has healed in the present.

Imagine a woman who authors her own life. A woman who exerts, initiates and moves on her own behalf. Who refuses to surrender except to her truest and wisest voice.

Imagine a woman who names her own Gods. A woman who believes her body is enough, just as it is. Who celebrates her body's rhythms and cycles as an exquisite resource.

Imagine a woman who honors the body of the Goddess in her changing body. A woman who celebrates the accumulation of her years and her wisdom. Who refuses to use her precious life energy disguising the changes in her body and life.

Imagine a woman who values the women in her life. A woman who sits in circles of women. Who is reminded of the truth about herself when she forgets.

Imagine yourself as this woman. -- Patricia Lynn Reilly


5 comments:

  1. I love it!! Fabulous - the words and the image!! And I agree that it's easier to put stuff in writing than verbalizing it. For me, anyway. I like to read and re-read it, tweak and edit it, etc. Can't do that so much when you're speaking. Anyway, you have made a great start - little by little......

    ReplyDelete
  2. That poem is fantastic. I think I might have to print it out and hang it somewhere as a reminder! Thanks for sharing. Your drawing is fantastic as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh kate...this is AMAZING. it am so excited to follow your journey. i have been waiting FOREVER for you to have a blog. you have SO much to offer. i love lori portka. i am hopefully seeing her this may in arizona. wonderful post my dear.
    p.s. i shared your hearts today on my blog and gave a link to this wonderful spot of yours.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. and I followed Chrissy's link over here and THANK GOODNESS I did. Kate, this is so beautiful, like Kelly I'm going to have to print it out and post it. I have been reading 'women who run with the wolves' lately and am reminded so much of how we have gotten so far from our truths and our intuition. thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks ladies! you're the best. :)

    ReplyDelete